Wednesday, September 03, 2008

More of the first day


Leslie and I spent the first day of school working on getting the house ready for guests. But it was a really long day. Leslie asked about Lindsay several times and told me she missed her. When we went to pick Lindsay up I got my first experience in the carpool line. It was not a good one, luckily It has gotten much better. I sat in line watching walking parents pick up their kids 20 minutes before the first car in line even pulled out. I chose to drive because it was in the mid 90s and that is not fun to walk in. I guess that even though it took me nearly an hour to get Lindsay, I was at least in an air conditioned car. Even if the school is only 2 minutes away from my front door. When I finally got Lindsay in the car, she was really quiet and wouldn't talk. I decided that maybe she needed to have some time to herself for a while. When we got home I found out that she was a little miffed at me because I hadn't given her a hug and kiss before saying goodbye at school. STUPID!! Obviously I meant to but in all of the bustle and worry about her seeing the tears in my eyes I neglected to send her off to a good start with a big hug. And obviously she thought about it most of the day because it was the very first thing she told me when she started talking again. I will never make that mistake again! And you can bet that she will get a kiss and hug every morning on her way to school as long as she is not embarrassed about it. I'm not going to let that slip by again!
That first night after Lindsay was in bed and as I was headed to bed I couldn't stop crying. I can't really tell you what all I was feeling. I have just been really sad that my little girl has to be away from me and her sister all day long. I never expected to feel this sad about it. I'm not over it yet, over a week later. I guess this is just the beginning.



My view of the Carpool line.

Leslie isn't bothered by the wait!

Doesn't she look a little mad still? This pic was taken as we walked in the door. Oh I felt horrible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie I am enjoying hearing from a mother's perspective as your child goes to kindergarten. It is givng me a fresh perspective as I begin my first week back to school teaching kindergarten.
Bobbie