Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Unplugging

We have made a commitment (along with our friends the Grubers)to unplug for one day a week. The idea is that we take time away from all the technology that takes us away from real life and give that time back to our family. We have chosen Sundays. We chose a day that we will most likely be home (no work or school). This, of course means that Lance will be missing any live football played on Sundays this season. As we got closer to the actual day, Lance was questioning his ability to survive without pro-football. Anyone who knows Lance knows that it is not an easy thing for him to give up. Anyway, the day came and we found ourselves undistracted by computers, phones, tvs, etc. We spent the afternoon at the pool where Lindsay actually swam for the first time (head under water, feet off the ground kicking and paddling out to daddy). After dinner we played Chutes and Ladders. I won. Despite the loss, Lindsay exclaimed that she wanted to have game night every night! The night wound down, Lance and I had a good discussion and I retired early to bed. Knowing that the Bears were playing Sunday Night Football, I told Lance he should go ahead and watch. He got to watch the last quarter of the game. The next morning Lance could honestly say he didn't miss football that much. He really enjoyed the time with his girls. And we enjoyed the time with our guy.

6 comments:

Bruce Bauslaugh said...

Sounds very cool and Amish.

I take it digitial photography isn't a violation:)

Katie said...

We decided also not to be legalistic about it. He He. That also means if one of Lance's friends were to invite him to their house for a football game, he would be free to partake. :-)

Anonymous said...

Way to go you guys. Lance, I know that was a sacrifce for you and I know you "feel" good about being able to stick with it. Love you guys. Mom B.

The Darlings said...

Isn't a digital camera technology? I'm just sayin'...

:)

Anonymous said...

Uncle Bruce, that was hilarious (the amish comment)!

Katie said...

Ok in the spirit of full disclosure in addition to a digital camera, we also used electric lights, flushing toilets, the stove for dinner, the fridge for water and cold food, and drove our cars too and from church and the pool. So no, we weren't completely technology free. :-)